At just 210mm and 68g, this mic is one of the shortest and lightest shotgun condenser microphones available. At the same time, it offers impressive accuracy, clarity and musicality.
Small and lightweight
Excellent RF Immunity
Uniform off-axis response
Highly directional pattern
The mic is fully immune to RF emission and the 19mm condenser cartridge is capable of handling peak SPLs of 152dB before clipping. Designed for a broad range of applications, the d:dicate microphones series is ideal for use with camera systems, in fixed positions at sports facilities, for broadcast/ENG/film booming and even studio recording environments.
The microphone capsule: the d:dicate 4017B shotgun microphone is equipped with a highly-directional hypercardioid pickup pattern, obtained using a supercardioid design with an interference tube that provides excellent off-axis rejection. Its unique directional pattern is useful when you need exceptionally high directivity with high background noise rejection. It is convenient when you cannot place the mic close enough to the sound source. The MMP-B preamplifier is best if you want easily accessible high boost and low cut switches. Extensive research and development has been undertaken to optimize the sound coming from the sides and back of the microphone. One of the key accomplishments is that we have minimized often very un-linear response of a shotgun microphone due to its side lobes. The condenser capsule uses a high voltage pre-polarized back plate, endowing the shotgun with high output as well as wide dynamics, extremely low noise and distortion specifications.
The d:dicate 4017B shotgun microphone features two onboard filters. They are activated via an ingenious switching ring design. With a simple twist of two sturdy rings, engineers can implement a high-frequency boost that adds a 4dB shelf at 8kHz. This compensates for hi loss when used with windjammers. A first-order bass roll-off below 120Hz minimizes handling and wind noise. A permanent third-order high-pass filter at 50Hz effectively removes unwanted low frequency disturbance from handling and wind noise.
At any time, and with no tools needed, it is possible to transform the d:dicate 4017B shotgun microphone into a new configuration. You can combine it with another d:dicate or d:facto microphone capsule or preamplifier.
- Directional pattern: supercardioid, lobe-shaped
- Principle of operation: pressure gradient, with interference tube
- Cartridge type: pre-polarized condenser
- Frequency range: 20Hz to 20kHz, permanent third order high pass filter at 50Hz
- Frequency range, +/-2dB, at 60cm: 70Hz to 18kHz with typ. 3dB soft boost at 15kHz
- Sensitivity, nominal, +/-2dB at 1kHz: 19mV/Pa, -34.4dB re. 1V/Pa
- Equivalent noise level, A-weighted: typ. 13dB(A) re. 20uPa (max. 15dB(A))
- Equivalent noise level, ITU-R BS.468-4: typ. 24dB (max. 26 dB)
- S/N ratio (A-weighted), re. 1kHz at 1Pa (94dB SPL): typ. 81dB(A)
- Total harmonic distortion (THD): <1% up to 137dB SPL peak
- Dynamic range: typ. 124dB
- Max. SPL, peak before clipping: 138dB
- Switchable attenuator, filters etc.: high boost-> +4dB at 8kHz, low cut-> first order filter, below 120Hz
- Output impedance: 100Ohm
- Minimum load impedance: 2kOhm
- Cable drive capability: 100m
- Output balance principle: signal balanced
- Common mode rejection ratio (CMRR): >40dB
- Power supply (for full performance): 48V Phantom power (+/-4V)
- Current consumption: 4.5mA
- Connector: XLR-3M. pin 1: shield, pin 2: signal + phase, pin 3: phase
- Color: matte black
- Weight: 68g
- Microphone/capsule diameter: 19/19mm
- Microphone length: 212mm
- Maximum output voltage, RMS: 2V
- Polarity: +V at pin 2 for positive sound pressure
- Temperature range: -40°C to 45°C
- Relative humidity (RH): up to 90%